Our Blog

What Should You Ask Your Doctor After a Car Accident?

After you are involved in a car accident, it can seem as though there is a lot to do and take care of. One of the factors you need to put a priority on is your health and overcoming the injuries you suffered. Even if you have injuries that seem minor, it is a good idea to see a doctor as soon as possible. In some cases, injuries such as whiplash may not be noticeable until days or weeks after the accident has occurred. Even simple stiffness or bruising can result in an injury that is much more serious.

When you are at the doctor’s office, it is a good idea to ask the questions here to ensure you fully understand your injury. Additionally, the information provided by the doctor will be able to help if you plan on filing a lawsuit at a later date.

Future Health Concerns

You should be sure to ask your doctor about any concerns you may have related to the injuries you have suffered and the possible side affects you may experience. You should not hesitate to mention any concerns you have for the future. You doctor may advise you to see an orthopedic specialist or chiropractor to help create a care plan that reduces the risk of long term issues.

It may also be a good idea to have x-rays performed of any parts of the body where you have limited mobility or pain. Neck and back injuries are extremely difficult to diagnose if you don’t have x-rays done. Also, be sure to tell your doctor about any changes in your symptoms or pain since the accident took place. The more you have documented by your doctor, the more helpful the information will be if you have to file a lawsuit.

Paid time Off from Work

If your injuries are so severe that you feel as though you are unable to perform your normal day to day tasks at work, then you should request that your doctor give you a note to be able to take time off work to recover from the injuries. Injuries from a car accident won’t always be evident immediately. If you have already been off work because of the accident, make sure to ask your doctor to create a note with a retroactive date.

If you are injured in an accident that is caused by someone else’s careless action or negligence, then you deserve compensation. The best way to get the compensation you deserve is by working with a personal injury attorney. They can use the information you provided to the doctor to help prove the issues, pain and suffering you have experienced.