7 Reasons to Hire a Law Firm TodayHiring a law firm may not be at the top of your list of things to do after an accident or injury. It is tempting to take a settlement that the insurance offers. Even worse, sometimes it is tempting to just walk away with no compensation. After an accident, you need a personal injury lawyer by your side to get things done. Some of the ways an attorney can benefit you after an injury include:
1. They Have ExperienceProfessional injury lawyers have plenty of knowledge of the law. They can use this knowledge to help them tackle any tactic the insurance company tries to use against you. This helps you win your claim. Personal injury lawyers fight these cases daily and have experience in many different injury claims. Their clients get to enjoy peace of mind knowing they will get the best results possible out of the case.
This experience is one of the best things about hiring a personal injury attorney. They have worked on all types of personal injury cases and know how to handle them all. The attorney can use that experience to go through your case and negotiate the best settlement. They know what has worked in the past and what tactics are likely to work for your case.
2. You'll Save TimeDuring a personal injury case, there are a lot of documents that you need to collect to prove your side of the story. Between looking for evidence, gathering documents, and finding experts, the personal injury case can soon take up all your time.
With a personal injury law firm helping with the case, someone else will take on these tasks for you. This saves you a lot of time and effort, and it guarantees that you will always get the right documents, and get them in on time, for your case to proceed.
3. They Know How the Process WorksInjury law is complicated. For most people, understanding how the law works and how to take on the case is challenging. A personal injury lawyer knows all about the law and how to handle all the laws for your situation.
Some clients choose to handle the case on their own, and often it doesn't take long for the process to become too much to handle. Doing the case on your own increases the likelihood that your case will fail. A personal injury lawyer can take on the case and walk you through every step of the legal process.
4. You Can Increase Your SettlementYou may be able to settle for something during your trial on your own if you are lucky. A personal injury lawyer can help increase your settlement and will send you home with more money. Even counting in the lawyer fees, you will go home with more than if you did it yourself.
Lawyers not only understand the law: they also have good negotiation skills and can work on a settlement that is the best for you. On your own, you may not get as much compensation, but a lawyer can walk through the negotiations to help you get more.
5. You Get Help When You Have Permanent DisabilitiesWhen your injury results in a long-term or permanent disability, getting the right settlement is critical. Not only should your settlement include compensation for medical care, but you also need enough to cover lost wages during that time. Depending on the injury, you may have to limit work for several months or years.
When the injury affects your ability to hold gainful employment, it is impossible to financially support yourself. An experienced lawyer will help calculate an accurate settlement that includes current and future expenses. They will bring in evidence, including doctor testimonies and medical records, to help negotiate the best settlement for you.
6. You Have Guidance When Several Parties Are InvolvedWhen multiple parties are involved, establishing fault takes on another level. For example, if you have a car accident with two or more cars, you may fight for a full settlement while also being the subject of an insurance claim. If you are at fault, you may need to pay damages for the injuries of another person.
It may be possible to receive partial compensation for the injury when more than one party is involved. The exact rules can be very complicated. Your lawyer will take a look at the facts of the case and can consider the law when helping you learn what settlement you can get.
7. You Don't Have to Settle for a Low SettlementEven if you started out with handling the personal injury on your own, it may be helpful to find a personal injury attorney to step in when you are offered a low settlement. Not all insurance companies will give a fair offer. Some agencies will offer a low settlement with the hope that you will take it and not go to court. This only benefits them.
When recovering from an accident or injury, it is hard to know what is considered fair compensation. You are tired, dealing with medical bills, and healing. The insurance company may take advantage of this and offer you a low settlement. And it may be tempting to take it to avoid court and all the costs associated with going to trial.
An attorney can take a look at the settlement and determine whether it is sufficient or not. They can take the proper steps to calculate the right amount and then negotiate terms that benefit you. Depending on the case, you may be able to seek damages related to medical costs as well as compensation for other conditions including emotional distress or pain and suffering.
When Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?There are many situations where a law firm will be useful for your personal injuries. Several situations where you should work with a lawyer include:
- Car accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents at work
- Medical malpractice
- Dog bites
- Commercial truck accidents
- Boating accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Work accidents
Having a good personal injury attorney on your side will influence the outcome of your case. They can gather the evidence for you, work on negotiations, and help walk you through every step of the process until the case is done. When you are ready to work with a personal injury lawyer, contact us at Sullivan Law, LLC in Kansas City, MO.